Sunday, February 6, 2011

Volcano Island!



We went to Elk Rock Island this morning. It used to be a volcano, but now it's an island in the Willamette River. We dressed in layers to stay warm and wore boots because it was muddy.

The first time we went here, the river rose and the path we came in on was under water. We had to throw our backpacks across and daddy had to pick me up and walk in the river to get back. We never know when the river is going to come up, so be careful. If you see the river and no rocks, that is not good because then you can't get to the actual island.This time the river was very low, so we made it across.


Here is the channel we had to cross. The reason grass and moss doesn't grow in the channel is the water goes there when it rains. You can see the big tree that got washed here before the water went down.

 




Here I am on a cliff.














 
There's lots of big pools on the island and I heard lots of croaking, but didn't see any frogs. We saw two bald eagles and their nest. The eagle nest was very big and we heard them making eagle sounds. There was also a downy woodpecker on a log in the trail that was looking for bugs.
I had a good time. If you want to see rocks, cliffs, animals, and volcanos you should go.










For more information check out:
http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?PropertyID=113&action=ViewPark

3 comments:

  1. Bro it makes me a little nervous that you were standing on top of a cliff, but I know Daddy was there making sure that you wouldn't fall right? Right. :D Thanks for letting me sleep in!
    -Wen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owen! This is so cool! I have always wanted to go to Elk Rock Island but I never have. After seeing your pictures and reading about it, I definitely need to make a trip there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OWEN!! I learned something from your blog! I did not know that Elk Rock is a volcano! I need to go there and check it out, don't I?

    ReplyDelete